The Nothing Phone (1) is confirmed, and this startup is hoping to create something truly different. It’s been a few years since a new company joined the smartphone race, but the brand that gave us the Nothing Ear (1) is promising something revolutionary.
Nothing certainly has the credibility to do it, since its founder, Carl Pei, helped start up the successful phone brand OnePlus. But with OnePlus now far removed from its original mission of top specs for less, perhaps we’re about to see the Nothing Phone 1 take that now vacant spot in the market.
Nothing Phone (1) – What to expect
- The Nothing Phone (1) is coming in summer 2022. The announcement is set for July 12.
- The Nothing (1) sports a transparent design, with a back panel that shows off some components, namely a wireless charging coil.
- The Nothing Phone (1) will be powered by a Qualcomm chip, though we don’t know which one yet.
- Nothing OS promises to be fast and smooth and learns from your usage. Your apps should load and close super fast.
- The Nothing Phone (1) will offer 3 years of software updates and 4 years of security updates.
- Nothing is using dot matrix fonts and retro graphic elements to provide a human touch, such a tape recorder-like design in the voice recorder.
- Nothing is promising seamless support for third-party products like AirPods and Tesla vehicles.
The design of the Nothing Phone (1) has finally been shown off ahead of the smartphone’s reveal. And as teased, it sports a transparent back panel and has a large wireless charging coil. Other components for the phone aren’t so visible. But we can see a dual rear camera array and what looks to be flat sides with volume and power buttons on the left and right edges, respectively. Even more interesting than the transparency are the LED lines scattered across the back.
We don’t yet know if these have any practical purpose but they certainly look interesting.